Small City, Big Arts • San Rafael, California
The Downtown San Rafael Arts District partners with local arts leaders, businesses, city officials, and community members to create a vibrant and engaging environment that promotes well-being, equity, and inclusivity through the arts.
Provide access to world-class arts and culture education and experiences for everyone in San Rafael.
- Serving all.
Embracing the arts to build inclusive community relationships and dialogue to confront and address pressing social and economic issues.
Engaging the under-served and disadvantaged populations in our community to promote greater equity and diversity.
Creating a welcoming and innovative downtown community anchored and unified by a thriving arts and culture scene.
Create opportunities for San Rafael youth.
Promote a safer, cleaner, more aesthetically pleasing environment.
Generate more business traffic through increased tourism.
Foster more engaged residents.
Welcome new arts-related businesses.
CA State Program
- Art Works Downtown 1337 4th St.
- Bananas at Large 1654 2nd St.
- The Belrose 1415 5th Ave.
- Christopher B. Smith Rafael Film Center 1118 4th St.
- Community Media Center of Marin 819 A St.
- Copperfield’s Books 850 4th St.
- Falkirk Cultural Center 1408 Mission Ave.
- Fenix 919 4th St.
- The FolkArt Gallery 1321 4th St.
- George’s Nightclub 842 4th St.
- Italian Street Painting Marin 5th St. and A St.
- Marin Shakespeare Company 514 4th St.
(Location not pictured)
- Marin Society of Artists 1515 3rd St.
- Mountain Play 1556 4th St., Suite B
- Open Secret Bookstore 923 C St.
- Rebound Bookstore 1611 4th St.
- RileyStreet Art Supply 1138 4th St.
- San Rafael Public Library 1100 E St.
- Seawood Photos 1601 4th St.
- Youth in Arts 917 C St.
2nd Friday Art Walk:
Enjoy galleries, open studios, art exhibits, live music and refreshments https://binomo-co.in/demo/ as you stroll in downtown San Rafael along Fourth Street on the second Friday of every month.
Downtown San Rafael Arts District Collaborative
- City of San Rafael
- Art Works Downtown
- Youth in Arts
- California Film Institute
- BID (Business Improvement District)
- County of Marin
- Italian Street Painting
- Marin Shakespeare Company
- Mission San Rafael
Arts Organizations Come Together and Celebrate Latinx Arts and Culture
Downtown San Rafael Arts District Announces Launch Events
The newly designated Downtown San Rafael Arts District, located along Fourth Street in San Rafael, officially launches this Fall with an exciting array of arts programming centered around the shared theme of Latinx. Latinx is inspired by national movements such as Spanish Heritage month and National Arts Education Week, as well as the City’s 30th Anniversary of the Día de Los Muertos celebration in November. Audiences of all ages can enjoy and experience a range of arts perspectives and voices from Latin America ranging from exhibits, film screenings, family programs, and more www.binomo-co.in/demo.
Pacific Sun Article
Feature: Cultural Treasure Naomi Alessandra
California Arts Council names downtown San Rafael one of state’s 14 cultural districts
Marin Independent Journal Article
San Rafael Honored for Its Art, Cultural Focus
City praised for galleries, studios, events, activities